Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Things I've learned - Make a list!


When you have to get up at 4am to go to a race your brain is not functioning and you are bound to forget something. After the first year of racing I made a list of everything that I might need at a race and at what point I can pack those things. I just go down this list and put a mark by anything that's packed.

This also allows me to sleep better the night before, without worrying if I forgot something.

As the years go on, I have started to find that there are a lot of things that I REALLY don't need and there are still a few things that I will add to the list. One example is you don't want a wetsuit laying on the seat of your car, so bring a plastic bag.

I also am a Boy Scout, I live by the motto to "Be Prepared" and if it can go wrong it will, so I tend to try and bring extras of EVERYTHING that would prevent me from competing in a race due to equipment failure. Most of the time this stuff just stays in the car, but it's good to know it's there.

I also have created lists for different situations. One situation is when there will be an overnight stay before the triathlon. Here's my list.....

Things to pack the night/day(s) before the race
FOR THE SWIM
2 pairs of goggles
towels - 2 large, Chamois, 1 small
bucket for water to dip feet
extra swim suit
WETSUIT
Body Glide (Or pam)
plastic garbage bags (To put the suit in after the race)

FOR THE BIKE
pump up tire
check to make sure seat is tight
check to make sure aerobars are tight (bring screw)
extra cleats
Rudy Project Syton aero helmet
Rudy Project Zuma helmet (In case something happens to my aero helmet)
Rudy Project Zyon glasses
Bike
bike shoes
3 extra tubes
(Bring repair kit)
tire pump
cycle gloves
lock
bike lights (Rear and front)
rubberbands (To attach shoes to the bike)
cold weather bag (Leg warmers, arm warmers, gloves, hat)

FOR THE RUN
3 pairs of race socks
number belt
extra running shirt
2 pairs of shoes
hat

GENERAL/OTHER/PRE-POST RACE
headlamp (It's dark when you get to most races)
scissors (Never know what you might need to cut)
tape, gaffer tape
Change of clothes - shorts, underwear, socks, shoes, shirt, sandals (For after the race)
extra Honeystinger energy bars/Gels
Honeystinger Honeystinger Bars
extra bananas
GPS - Forerunner
GPS - Ique
Heart Rate Band (Bring +1)
Orange flag (To mark where your bike is at a big race)
MP3 player
cell phone
rain jacket
sweatshirt
first aid kit
race info
Camera - Both cameras, extra batteries, cards, both lenses
video camera
Sharpie
pins for race number
pen and paper


NIGHT BEFORE/Day Before -
Put bike on Car, Check air pressure, cover seat and gears, strap down, flip pedal up, bungie cords, protection over brake
take pack and lock off of bike
Charge IPOD
Charge GPS
Pack gear into bag
5 water bottles. 2 with gatorade, 1 gallon of water
Two water bottles with Gatorade
Put in fridge
Change wedding ring (I bought a cheap ring that I am not worried about coming off my finger during the middle of a race or other excercise)

DAY OF (SET OUT NIGHT BEFORE)
tri shorts
tri jersey
Put on Sunscreen, lip balm
Eat powerbar/cereal (Up to one hour before)
Banana
go to bathroom
get bottles out of fridge
grab garmin
cell phone
emergency cash/wallet, license, USAT license, credit card
Sweat pants
Leave at 5:20am (I always set the time, so I don't have to think about it)

Hope this helps!



No comments: